This moist vegan chocolate chip banana bread is an easy and delicious way to use up ripe bananas!
You know how it goes. You bought a bunch of bananas at the beginning of the week with full intentions to eat them and then suddenly they’ve all gone brown and over-ripe at the same time.
We’ve all been there.
I don’t know of a better way to use up ripe bananas than banana bread (although nice cream might be a close second).
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- Instead of tossing those ripe bananas and contributing to food waste, you can put them to use as a yummy dessert!
- Bananas and chocolate mix so well.
- This vegan chocolate chip banana bread goes well with peanut butter. Pro tip: serve a slice with a dab of peanut butter or a drizzle of peanut butter that has been slightly warmed in the microwave. Yum!
- Banana bread is one of those desserts that people find acceptable to also be a breakfast food, not that we care what they think.
Looking for More Bread?
Vegan Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- 3/4 cup nondairy milk I used soy
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 bananas large, very ripe
- 1/4 cup vegan butter melted
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 375°F/190°C and prepare a bread loaf pan with nonstick spray.
- In a small bowl, combine the nondairy milk and apple cider vinegar. Set it aside for at least 5 minutes so that it begins to curdle (similarly to buttermilk).
- Combine the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt) in a medium bowl and whisk to combine.
- In a large bowl with a whisk or using a stand mixer with a whisk attachment, whisk the bananas until they are mashed and no large chunks remain.
- Add the melted butter, maple syrup, and vanilla extract to the bowl with the bananas and mix to combine.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the wet and stir until just combined and you no longer see dry flour. Be careful not to overmix.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and level the batter out by tapping the pan against a solid flat surface a few times. You can also use a rubber spatula to make sure the batter is evenly spread.
- Bake at 375°F/190°C for 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove the pan from the oven and allow the bread to cool in the pan for 15 minutes before removing.