This vegan tofu egg sandwich is full of protein and both quick and easy to assemble, making it the perfect fast lunch option.
Updated January 27, 2021
The hardest part of coming up with recipes, for me at least, isn’t actually finding inspiration or figuring out new and exciting flavor combinations. Rather, the most difficult part can sometimes be coming up with a name for the deliciousness. For this recipe, I couldn’t necessarily call it a mayonnaise-tofu-scramble-tomato-avocado-and-paprika-sandwich, now could I? That would certainly be a mouthful. Speaking of mouthfuls….
Growing up, my mom would make us egg sandwiches slathered with mayonnaise for weeknight dinners every so often. It was cheap. It was easy. It was fast. With three kids, that was important.
Being vegan, I obviously choose not to eat eggs or mayonnaise made with eggs, so I decided to veganize this food that reminds me of home by making a tofu egg sandwich.
My version of this tofu egg sandwich is packed with protein and flavor in every bite. It includes tofu to act as the egg substitute and vegan mayonnaise to stand in for what my mom would use. I’ve also jazzed this sandwich up a little and added:
- smoked paprika
- mashed avocado
- extra bread (you’re welcome)
Half of the fun of this sandwich is eating it. The other half is assembling it and making a tower out of your ingredients. Take it from me, though, there is such thing as a too tall skyscraper of a sandwich.
At least I got some solid pictures before it tumbled, right? Haha.
Don’t worry. I still ate every last bite.
Tofu Egg Sandwich
- 1 14 oz package firm tofu
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- 12 pieces of bread 3rd piece of bread per sandwich is optional, but totally recommended
- 1/4 cup vegan mayonnaise I used Vegannaise
- 1 avocado mashed
- Drain the tofu in its package and use a fork to mash it. The tofu should be about the same texture as scrambled eggs.
- Heat a skillet over medium high and spray lightly with cooking spray to prevent sticking.
- Once the pan is heated, add the scrambled tofu and cook for 3 to 5 minutes until most of the liquid is evaporated.
- Add turmeric, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper and cook for 2 more minutes.
- While the tofu cooks, take two pieces of bread and spread 1.5 tsp mayonnaise on top of each slice.
- Once the tofu has finished cooking, divide it evenly into fourths in your pan.
- Place half of a quarter of tofu on each piece of bread that already has the mayonnaise.
- On top of this, add tomatoes, lettuce, and mashed avocado. My layers were bread, mayonnaise, tofu, avocado, tomato, lettuce, repeat, and top with the last piece of bread.
- Repeat steps assembling the remaining three sandwiches
As always, I love to see you guys take these recipes and make them your own. If you use this recipe as is or use it for inspiration, I’d love to see your creation. Tag me (@_heybrittney_) and/or use the hashtag #heybrittney so I don’t miss it.