I’m THAT dog mom. I spoil my dogs and make them homemade treats.
Since switching our three to vegan diets, I’m extra cautious about what I feed them, as I want to avoid animal products and any junky fillers. There are several vegan dog treats options available out there. Some of my dogs’ favorites are:
These are our go-tos at the Long Lodge, but I sometimes like to give Anna, Sasha, and Zusi extra special treats for being the best pupperonies in the world.
And that’s when I turn to this simple recipe.
Peanut Butter & Sweet Potato Dog Treats
- 2 cups oatmeal (rolled, old-fashioned, etc.)
- 1 apple peeled and cored
- 1/4 cup peanut butter *
- 1 large sweet potato baked, peeled, and mashed
- 1 cup flour
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Add oatmeal to blender or food processor and pulse until a fine oat flour is achieved.
- Add apple, peanut butter, and sweet potato. Blend until incorporated.
- Add flour and pulse until a workable dough is formed.
- Roll out your dough to 1/4 inch thick using either your hands or a roller.
- Cut out desired shapes and transfer to a prepared baking sheet.
- Bake at 325 degrees F for 25 minutes**.
* be extra careful to make sure your peanut butter doesn’t contain xylitol, as that can be harmful to dogs
**bake time will be dependent on size of your cookie cutters. I used these. Alternatively, you can simply use a knife to cut squares, rectangles, triangles, etc.