These quick and easy vegan mocha chip cookie bars are exploding with chocolate and coffee flavors and don’t require chilling or scooping.
You’ve heard of the five love languages, right? There’s acts of service, physical touch, quality time, words of affirmation, and gifts. Those are how we both express and receive love from those we have relationships with in our lives. Although all of the “official” tests have declared my love language quality time, I’m inclined to disagree.
My love language is baking.
Baking is how I communicate my feelings to those I love. I think very little communicates love as well as a homemade baked good.
There is no better way to say, “Hi, friend. I was thinking of you and how much I love you” than a cake in your friend’s favorite flavor. Or maybe you know they prefer cookies or an apple pie.
Baking brings me joy because it brings joy to those around me. That’s why I have declared it my official love language. Put some baking and enjoying those baked goods together with quality time and I’m in paradise.
These mocha chip cookie bars came about as I was trying to express my love to my husband, Alex. He’s a big fan of these chocolate chip cookie bars I make, but he’s also been a fan of coffee since before we started dating back in 2011.
I, on the other hand, didn’t start drinking coffee until I became a mother. Not real coffee anyway. I’d have an occasional soy vanilla latte loaded with sugar, but nothing where you could actually taste the coffee flavor.
Alex jokes that what I drink now still doesn’t qualify as coffee. It’s more of a dash of coffee with my creamer. Whatever. I like it and that’s what matters.
Unlike my daily cup of coffee, you can definitely taste the coffee richness in these mocha chip cookie bars.
These mocha chip cookie bars are:
- your new favorite dessert
Mocha Chip Cookie Bars
- 2 tbsp flax meal
- 6 tbsp water
- 1 cup vegan butter at room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1.5 tbsp ground coffee ground as fine as you can to avoid gritty texture
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup chocolate chips (or as much as your heart desires)
- Preheat oven to 350* and prepare a 9x13" pan with nonstick spray
- Combine flax meal and water in a small bowl to create a binder. Set aside.
- Using a stand mixer or hand mixer, cream butter, brown sugar, white sugar, and vanilla extract together until light and fluffy.
- Add in flax and water mixture and mix well.
- Stir in ground coffee, flours, salt, and baking soda until combined.
- Gently fold in your chocolate chips and spread in prepared pan. Use a spatula or your hands to flatten it.
- Bake at 350* for 22-25 minutes or until golden brown on top.