These copycat homemade vegan Spaghettios are reminiscent of the spaghetti rings and cheesy tomato pasta sauce you can find in a can, but this version is dairy-free and made with ingredients you recognize.
Uh oh, vegan SpaghettiOs!
When I was a wee little one, my grandparents would always, without fail, keep a can of Spaghettios under their kitchen island for me.
One summer, I packed a can of SpaghettiOs to take with me as an essential item for cheerleading camp.
My freshman year of college, I didn’t subsist on ramen noodles. My diet was 97% SpaghettiOs.
When I went vegan back in 2016, I thought I was never going to have my beloved tomato covered rings ever again. It’s good to be wrong sometimes.
Let's Get Saucy
The ingredients that make the original canned SpaghettiOs not vegan (or the ingredients that are most obvious at least) are dairy butter, milk, and cheese. For this vegan version, we’re still using butter and milk, but we’re just choosing dairy alternatives. I recommend an unsweetened mild dairy alternative milk such as soy, rice, or cashew.
Instead of using a store-bought vegan cheese, this recipe uses nutritional yeast, which is deactivated yeast flakes that will give a cheesy umami flavor to your recipe. This really brings the flavors together and makes it taste like the classic canned version you know and love.
While these homemade vegan SpaghettiOs are fabulous all by themselves, if you’re looking to take it up a notch, there are ways to do that. Try your pasta with one or more of these additions and/or changes.
Other Child-Friendly Recipes
Looking for more recipes to satisfy the kid in you? These recipes are toddler-, child-, and adult-approved.
Homemade Vegan SpaghettiOs
- 2 cups uncooked spaghetti rings
- 15 oz no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp vegan butter (Earth Balance is what I recommend)
- 2 tbsp nondairy milk
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika *
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Add all sauce ingredients to a small saucepan and stir. Heat on medium until it reaches a boil and the butter has melted completely. Then turn the heat off as your pasta cooks.
- While heating the sauce, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and pour the pasta back into the pot.
- Pour the sauce over the pasta and stir to combine.
- Top with optional vegan cheddar cheese if desired.