Veggies, tempeh, garlic, balsamic vinegar, and herbs come together to make an easy savory entree
The weather is heating up and it’s time to fire up the grill or maybe get the fire pit going and have some s’mores. I recommend doing both!
I was just itching to use the grill, so I came up with these Garlic Balsamic Tempeh Foil Packets. Foil packets are one of my favorite recipes for the grill because they’re an entire meal in one and they can be so flavorful! This recipe is perfect for an outdoor grill, but you can make it any time of year or on a rainy day if you have an indoor grill.
I especially love this recipe for a few reasons:
- It’s a complete meal all in one – veggies, protein, starch
- It’s pretty stinkin easy
- You can prep the veggies for this meal ahead of time, making dinner quick and fresh
- It’s packed full of flavor
- It’s easily customizable. Don’t like peppers? Subtract them. Want to add mushrooms or some squash? Go for it!
- You can make these in the oven or on the grill.
Since initially creating this recipe, I’ve tested it in the oven with successful results and I can confirm it comes out just as delicious. The potatoes are absolutely perfect and the onions and peppers come out slightly sweet after being roasted in the packets.
You really can’t go wrong with this one.
Garlic Balsamic Tempeh Foil Packets
- 4 medium Idaho potatoes cut into 1 inch pieces
- 4 carrots sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper diced
- 1/2 yellow onion diced
- 2 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 8oz package of tempeh
- 4 tbsp vegan butter, melted I prefer Earth Balance
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tsp basil dried
- 1 tsp oregano dried
- 1/2 tsp thyme dried
- balsamic vinegar to taste
- fresh basil optional
- Preheat grill
- In a large bowl, combine potatoes, carrots, pepper, and onion.
- Toss with olive oil and sprinkle salt and pepper to taste.
- Place four pieces, approximately 18x12 inches in size, on countertop and evenly distribute the veggies in the foil.
- Chop tempeh into fourths. Take each of the four pieces and cut lengthwise in half and then cut each half into fourths (so eight pieces per fourth of the tempeh, or thirty-two pieces total).
- Whisk melted butter, garlic cloves, basil, oregano, and thyme together in a medium bowl. Add the tempeh and stir to coat.
- Divide the tempeh amongst the four foil packets. Fold the foil together over the veggies and tempeh, first in the middle and then on the ends. Your food should be completely covered by the foil. This will allow the steam to cook the food as it heats up.
- Place packets on grill and cover for 20 minutes. Alternatively, these work just as well in the oven baked at 400*F for 40 minutes.
- Carefully remove and open the packets, being mindful of escaping steam (I use potholders for this step.)
- Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and sprinkle fresh basil if using.
- Serve and enjoy.
As always, I love to see you guys take these recipes and make them your own. If you use this recipe as is or use it for inspiration, I’d love to see your creation! Tag me (@_heybrittney_) and/or use the hashtag #heybrittney so I don’t miss it.