Cranberry Apple Oat Muffins are a delicious and seasonal fall breakfast, loaded with cranberries, apples, cinnamon, and a surprising hidden veggie.
As far as toddlers go, I feel pretty lucky to have one of the not so picky ones. She eats a varied diet and usually is content to eat the same meals mommy and daddy are having. I think baby led weaning helped us in that aspect. However, one thing I always feel like we could be doing better on is increasing vegetable intake. There are some vegetable that she will happily eat as is, but I still find myself trying to add them wherever I can to make sure she’s hitting her daily vegetable servings. These vegan cranberry apple muffins with hidden zucchini help me do just that.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
This cranberry apple muffin recipe is a fantastic way to serve vegetables with breakfast. It’s also quick and mess-free, as well one that can be prepared in advance to save time on busy school or work day mornings. You can also pack these as a nut free snack or side for school lunches.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I freeze these? Yes! Freeze these muffins in a single layer on a baking sheet. Once fully frozen, you can pop them in a freezer-safe bag and store for up to 3 months in the freezer. Simply place in refrigerator overnight to thaw and they’re good to go ahead.
- Can I eat these warm? You can! Just nuke in the microwave for 10-30 seconds depending on your microwave. If I am warming mine up, I like to throw a little vegan butter on there for something extra.
- What other variations can I use to change this recipe up?
- Use shredded carrots in place of the zucchini
- Add walnuts or chocolate chips
- Replace the cinnamon with pumpkin spice
More Recipes You'll Love
Looking for more fall favorites and breakfast ideas? Give these recipes a try.
Cranberry Apple Oat Muffins
- 1 flax egg (combine 1tbsp ground flax meal with 3 tbsp water, stir and set aside)
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup quick oats
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup zucchini finely grated
- 1 cup apple finely grated
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries plus more for topping
- Preheat oven to 350*F and grease a muffin tin or 12 muffin liners.
- Make a flax egg by combining 1 tbsp flax meal and 3 tbsp water in a small bowl. Set aside for at least 5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together dry ingredients (flour through salt)
- In a separate larger bowl, whisk together the flax egg, applesauce, oil, and vanilla extract.
- Stir wet into dry
- Fold zucchini, apple, and cranberries into batter until incorporated
- Evenly divide mixture amongst muffin tins and sprinkle with extra cranberries if desired
- Bake 25 minutes until inserted toothpick comes out clean