This vegan coconut lime jackfruit is served in a fresh and creamy sauce and is a flavorful option for a quick lunch, dinner, or meal prep recipe.
Fruit as a meat substitute? You betcha!
While it’s not high in protein like other meat substitutes, jackfruit has an eerily meaty texture that is similar to pulled pork or shredded chicken. With the right preparation, your taste buds will be believing they’re eating meat!
What is Jackfruit?
Jackfruit is a large, green, and spiky fruit grown in tropical regions. A full grown jackfruit can weigh anywhere from 15 to 25 pounds or more! Before ripe, the inside of the jackfruit has a meaty texture than can be used in savory dishes like vegan carnitas, bbq pork, and tortilla soup. Once ripe, jackfruit has a much sweeter taste and can be used in desserts and sweet treats.
Where to Buy Jackfruit
There are two options for buying jackfruit. You can buy either an entire fruit or buy the young (unripened) jackfruit canned. I personally have never needed an entire 15-25lb jackfruit, nor do I want to deal with the hassle of trying to carve one of those spiky things, so I buy mine canned.
If you’re using it for a savory dish, be sure that the jackfruit is canned in water and not syrup or with any added sweetener. Checked the canned fruits and veggies section of your grocery store. Many major chains such as Trader Joe’s, Walmart, and Whole Foods carry the canned jackfruit. I have also had luck finding it on Amazon.
Coconut Lime Jackfruit
I wanted to bring you all a super simple dish that screamed of fresh summertime flavors. This coconut lime jackfruit has a subtle creamy coconut flavor pair with tart and tangy lime. The sauce is delicious with the jackfruit and also used to flavor your favorite grain that you serve this with. Bonus: the meal comes together in about half an hour or so, making it perfect for a weeknight dinner or an at home lunch. It also reheats well and can be used for meal prep.
Coconut Lime Jackfruit
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 onion diced
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 can jackfruit hard cores removed
- 1 can unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- zest of 1 lime
- 1 tbsp liquid aminos or soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Heat coconut oil in skillet on medium heat. Once heated, add the onion and cook until translucent, stirring often. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently so the garlic does not burn.
- Add jackfruit, stir, and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients except for cilantro.
- Turn the heat to medium high and bring the dish to a boil. Bring back down to a bubbling simmer. Cook uncovered for 20 minutes until about half of the liquid remains.
- Remove from heat and stir in cilantro.
- Serve over rice or favorite grain.