This homemade, from-scratch vegan carrot pie is full of autumnal spices and fresh fall deliciousness. Make this surprise dessert for your Thanksgiving and Friendsgiving events this year!
I recently accidentally ordered too many carrots when I was doing my online grocery shopping. Like, way too many extra carrots. I had to figure out creative ways to use up those carrots and that is how my vegan carrot pie came to exist.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
Move over, pumpkin pie. There’s a new Thanksgiving favorite in town.
This vegan carrot pie not only tastes absolutely delicious, but it is also loaded with lots of carrots, making it easy to get one of your servings of veggies for the day. Carrots are a great source of Vitamin A and beta-carotene. Carrots are also easy to find in supermarkets all year round, so you might be able to find carrots when the store is all out of pumpkin or it just isn’t pumpkin season.
This recipe is also simple and can be prepared and frozen ahead of time.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I freeze these? Absolutely, yes! Complete the recipe using a freezer safe baking pan. Once the pie has cooled completely, you can cover it and freeze. You can store for up to 3 months in the freezer. Simply place in refrigerator overnight to thaw and your pie is ready.
- Do I eat this warm or cold? However you choose! I sometimes like my pie cold and sometimes like to warm it up and put cold nondairy whipped cream on top. Neither way is wrong and both ways are right, if you ask me.
- Can I make individual servings? That’s how I serve my carrot pies for Thanksgiving! This filling will spread evenly between one dozen 3-inch tart tins. The pies will need far less cooking time at the smaller size. I cooked mine at 375* for 25 minutes and they were perfect.
More Recipes You'll Love
Looking for more fall favorites? Give these recipes a try.
- 1 9-inch pie crust (my favorite, no-fail vegan pie crust recipe linked in recipe notes)
- 5 large carrots chopped (approximately 5 cups)
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup plant milk
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- whipped cream, chopped walnuts, powdered sugar, and/or ice cream
- In a large pot, cover carrots completely with water and bring to boil over medium-high heat. Once boiling, keep at a rolling boil for 25 minutes or until carrots are very soft and pierce easily by a fork.
- Once softened, drain cooked carrots and allow to cool.
- Once cooled, preheat oven to 375*F.
- Add all of the pie filling ingredients (everything but the crust) into a blender and blend on high until smooth and creamy. Place all pie filling in the pie crust and bake for 50 minutes, checking frequently towards the end to avoid burning.