This crispy and simple air fryer tofu recipe makes a quick weeknight vegan or vegetarian dinner or an easy meal prep option.
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Those who say that tofu can’t be good just haven’t prepared it the right way.
Tofu can be bland and boring or it can be:
If I think back to when I ate meat with every meal, it’s not as if much flavor actually came from the meat itself. It came from the spices and herbs I used to prep it or the sauces and dressings I smothered it with or dipped it into.
BBQ sauce adds a smoky sweet flavor. Ranch gives a bit of a tang. Citrus juices can add a tart flavor. Really, our proteins are just flavor conduits and the plant flavors make them delicious.
Tofu is the same way as other proteins in that it all comes down to proper preparation and flavor addition. Our favorite way to prepare tofu here at the Long Lodge is in our air fryer. It’s foolproof, easy, and never fails to come out just right.
Looking for some more tofu recipes? Here are some of my favorites:
Easy Vegan Air Fryer Tofu
- Air fryer
- 1 block extra firm tofu pressed
- 2 tbsp Hoisin sauce
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- Cut the tofu into 1-inch cubes and combine in a bowl with the remaining ingredients. Marinate for at least 10 minutes or up to overnight.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees.
- Once heated, spray the air fryer basket with nonstick cooking spray and add the tofu. You may have to do this in more than one batch. Just make sure your tofu isn't overcrowded.
- Air fry for 8 minutes, shaking once halfway through to make sure the tofu doesn't stick to the bottom
- Serve with rice, stir fry veggies, udon noodles, or whatever your heart desires